Sunday, June 15, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Weekly Message
June 15, 2014

Saying Goodbye

My long-time friend Leo died recently and tomorrow, I preach at his service. My thoughts are fragmented and disconnected. Leo was not a churchgoer and he was, at times, irreverent. But he was not an unbeliever, either, and he lived a life of service to others.

So what do I preach? I Have decided to preach God’s love. I know that while God might have wished for Leo to give praise and worship, I’m also convinced that the Lord was pleased with Leo’s goodness and selfless attitude.

Leo looked out for others. He saw needs when others averted their eyes. And Leo did his best to fulfill those needs. Leo lived by the “Golden Rule,” that is, he treated others as he wanted others to treat him.

Leo loved little dogs. To him, these were innocent, sweet creatures. When a dog yipped and barked, Leo would yip and bark with them, to the point that both he and the dog were communicating in love.

James said in James 1, 27: Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. This Leo did.

So now my thoughts have coalesced. In writing this message, I have found what I need to say for my friend’s service. That’s how God works. 


May the Lord of peace and love comfort all who mourn; may they receive grace from on high and find that Jesus, who sends his peace, brings a light burden and an easy yoke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment